Friday, 18 July 2014

Sugarpill Pressed Eyeshadow in Tako and Loose Eyeshadows in Olivia & Stella - Review & Swatches

Hi everyone!  If you've been a long-time reader of my blog, you'll know that my love for indie makeup brand Sugarpill knows no bounds.  Run by the rainbow-haired Amy (known online as Shrinkle), they create amazingly bright eyeshadows, false lashes and brushes.  All of their products are vegan, cruelty free, and beautifully presented.

Recently, Sugarpill released a limited edition eyeshadow in very small quantities online.  It was a green shade, so obviously I snapped it up!  I also picked up another eyeshadow I've wanted for a while and received a sample so I thought I'd review them all in one post.  This is going to be a bit of a monster review, so get comfortable...

UPDATE: My Pressed Eyeshadow in Tako ended up having poor colour payoff, particularly after one use, and Sugarpill very kindly sent me a replacement free of charge!  Apparently sometimes the shadows get pressed too firmly, making them virtually impossible to get colour out of.  The replacement is much better and I have updated the photos to reflect this. Stellar customer service!

This amazing green glittery Sugarpill sticker was included in my package - I'm still trying to decide where to put it!
Sugarpill Loose Eyeshadow Sample Stella ingredients
I also received a sample of one of their loose eyeshadows - Stella.  Even the sample packaging is absolutely adorable and clearly listed with the ingredients!
Sugarpill Loose Eyeshadow Sample Stella review swatch
Stella came in a little plastic sealy bag, but I emptied it into a Lush sample pot as it's easier to get a brush into.  Stella has a jet black base with beautiful rainbow sparkles.  I've swatched it here alone on the left and over primer on the right.  This isn't a shade I would have chosen for myself, but I'm looking forward to adding depth and sparkle with it!
Sugarpill Pressed Eyeshadow Tako Review
Sugarpill Pressed Eyeshadow Tako Review ingredients
The next thing I received was a Pressed Eyeshadow in Tako.  The beautiful packaging contains all of the information you need about the product such as the 3.5g weight and the vegan ingredients 
Sugarpill Pressed Eyeshadow Tako Review
The shadow itself comes in a black, round compact with a transparent lid so you can see the shade at a glance.  Tako is a beautiful pure matte white that looks so clean in the pan - it makes me not want to use it!  I believe this shade was named after Shrinkle's cat - I'm sure you can guess what colour he is ;)
Here I've swatched Tako alone on the left and over primer on the right.  For a matte white, this has great pigmentation, with the rich and blendable texture I'm come to expect from Sugarpill
Sugarpill Loose Eyeshadow Olivia Review
Sugarpill Loose Eyeshadow Olivia Review ingredients
The next shadow I picked up is aptly named Olivia - this is the limited edition olive green shade I mentioned at the start of the post.  This was originally sold at IMATS, and then released in very limited quantities online.  I'm so glad I managed to get my hands on one!  As with the other shadows, the packaging is spot on
Sugarpill Loose Eyeshadow Olivia Review
The shadow itself comes in a chunky plastic tub with a white screw top lid.  Sugarpill's loose eyeshadow tubs usually have black lids, so this denotes the limited edition. Sugarpill's loose eyeshadows really are something else in terms of texture - so soft and finely milled, they feel like talcum powder!
Sugarpill Loose Eyeshadow Olivia Review swatch
Be still my beating heart... Here it's swatched alone on the left and over primer on the right.  Olivia is a deeply pigmented rich olive green with stunning duochrome golden shimmer 
Sugarpill Stella Tako Olivia Look swatch
Sugarpill Stella Tako Olivia Look swatch
Here I'm wearing all 3 of the eyeshadows from my order; Tako on the inner corners and lower waterline, Olivia all over the lid and Stella as a liner on the upper lashline.  I must admit I applied this and took the photos in a rush so it's not as polished as I'd like, but hopefully you can see how richly pigmented the shadows are!  The main reason I bought Tako was to set white pencil on the waterline, and I can confirm it works beautifully and that I had a white lower lashline all day :) Normally it fades after a few hours so I was very impressed
Finally, I thought I'd swatch my entire Sugarpill collection as it stands because my previous reviews are from a while ago, and it's nice to see how the shades work together.

Sugarpill Loose Eyeshadow Olivia Sparkage Absinthe Tipsy Goldilux Review
Sugarpill Loose Eyeshadow Olivia Sparkage Absinthe Tipsy Goldilux swatch
Sugarpill's loose eyeshadows are definitely the star of the show in my opinion - they're so soft, pigmented and blendable!  Even after heavy use there is still loads left in each.  They also wear like iron over primer! 
Sugarpill Pressed Eyeshadow Acidberry Midori Tako
Their pressed eyeshadows are also absolutely fantastic, and are the easiest mattes I've ever worked with in terms of blending and transitioning between shades.  Of course, they wear beautifully over primer!

Sugarpill's eyeshadows cost $12 on their website and that's where I ordered from due to the limited availability of Olivia.  As they ship from the U.S., there is the risk of a customs charge, but I luckily avoided that.  My order arrived within a week, which is very speedy!  However, you can find the vast majority of their products on UK based websites such as Love Make Up, CutECOsmetics and Cocktail Cosmetics.  You can find their shadows for around £8.95 on these websites, which is more expensive than in the U.S. when you exchange currencies, but at least you're avoiding the risk of a customs charge.

Sugarpill are absolutely my favourite makeup brand - there's nowhere else you can find so many unique green eyeshadows of such incredible quality!  I hope they continue to release more fun greens for me :P  If you'd like to read my older Sugarpill reviews, they can be found here, here, here and here.  Their customer service is also fantastic, as evidenced by them sending me a replacement of Tako.

Did you get your hands on Olivia?

10 comments :

  1. I've lusted over Tako for quite a while as I've never had a good white as yet. Stella is stunning, and Olivia is a beaut too. I must break my Sugarpill cherry soon. I've only got one sample, of Goldilux, which someone gave me. x x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely should - they are such a fantastic brand! x

      Delete
  2. Every swatch of Midori I see makes my heart melt a little - it's just perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These colours look stunning on you :) x

    Brenda @ www.brendabusybee.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those colours are all so lovely! I don't normally get on with loose shadows because I end up making a huge mess, but I'm soo tempted to try one from Sugarpill because they are such good quality and the colours are so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a bit of fallout with any loose shadow I find (especially if you're clumsy like me) but as long as you apply your base afterwards you're fine. I don't wear any base products so it doesn't bother me to wipe up my face after :P It also helps to use quite a tacky primer. These are honestly such incredible shadows, you should definitely go for it! x

      Delete
  5. I've never heard of these but they look lovely! I love the green eyeshadow look you did x

    Jasmin Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, and I'm glad you learned about an awesome new brand ^_^ x

      Delete

Comments make me a happy Mali :) Feel free to leave blog links as I love new reading material, but please don't promote giveaways - that's just rude! ;)